December 4th - December 7th, 2013 (4 days) in Paris
Robert McKee's Story Seminar The masterclass is in english, with a simultaneous translation in french
Ideal for Screenwriters, TV Writers, Novelists, Playwrights, Filmmakers,
Directors, Producers, Documentary Makers, Actors and more!
We invite you to join us for four stimulating and information-packed days with Robert McKee as he reveals the essential elements of story design that help separate great stories from the rest of the pack. Using examples from over 100 films, in addition to television shows and novels, Robert McKee demonstrates why structure and story design are about form and principles, not formulas and rules.
Each 4-day Story event runs Wenesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday , beginning at 9:30am and closing at 7:00pm each day.
Two-time Academy Award-winning screenwriter William Goldman wrote, in his most recent book, "It's four full days over a single weekend, and no one feels cheated when he's done. I wish he had been around when I started writing CUT TO for a living."
Bestselling novelist Steve Pressfield simply said, "McKee is not only the best teacher of writing I've ever had, but the best teacher of anything."
• The writer and the art of story
• The decline of story in contemporary film, television, theatre and literature
• Story design : the meaning of story, the limitations and inspiration of story structure & genre, the debate between character vs story design.
• Premise Idea, Couner Idea, Controlling Idea
• Story structure : beat, scene, sequence, act, story
December 5th : 9:00 AM- 7:00 PM
• Mapping of story universe : Archplot, Miniplot, Antiplot
• Shapping the source of story energy and creation
• Act design : The great sweep and body of story
• The first major story event (the inciting incident)
• Scene design in story : turning points, emotional dynamics, setup/payoff, the nature of choice
• Ordering and linking scenes
• Exposition : dramatizing your characters, the story setting, creating back story
December 6th : 9:00 AM- 7:00 PM
• The principles of antagonism
• Crisis, climax and resolution
• Putting the elements of story together
• The principles of character dimension and design
• The text : description, dialogue, and poetics
• The spectrum of story genres
December 7th : 9:00 AM- 7:00 PM
• Story adaptations
• Scene analysis : text and sub-text; design through dialogue vs design through action
• The writer's method : working from the inside out; the creative process from inspiration to final draft.
• How it all works : the principles of the previous 2-1/2 days applied in a 6-hour, scene by scene screening and analysis of Casablanca
LIST OF FILMS THAT ROBERT MCKEE REFERS DURING THE STORY SEMINAR :
A Fish Called Wanda
And Justice For All
Bienvenue Chez Les Ch’tis
Coco Before Chanel
Death in Venice
Godfather I & II
Kiss of Spider Woman
Kramer vs. Kramer
La Vie En Rose
Leaving Las Vegas
Life is Beautiful
Star Wars I, II, V
Streetcar Named Desire
The English Patient
Story take place to the movie theater
1 rue Balzac 75008 Paris - France